Bekanntgabe: 23.08.2017 - Prescot Market Place
Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council, England
RIBA Competitions, Leeds, England
Open design competition
Knowsley Metropolitan Borough Council, via its Heritage Lottery Fund supported Prescot Townscape Initiative, is seeking design concepts from architect–led teams worldwide to redesign the currently unused public open space at Prescot Market Place in Knowsley, Merseyside. It is hoped that the winning design will create a vibrant special space in the town centre which will complement other amazing developments in the town including the new Shakespeare North Playhouse and a planned cinema making Prescot an even more attractive place for its visitors, residents and businesses.
An ambitious five year plan — Prescot Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI) — is investing in, conserving and celebrating the town‘s historic buildings, spaces and past. Knowsley Council, with support from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) and partners, is leading the heritage-led regeneration of the town centre.
Given the scale of the investment and the environmental focus of its funding, the redesign of Market Place is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to turn an unused corner of the town centre into an asset.
As the single largest project of the entire THI the success of the redesign of Market Place will have a significant bearing on people‘s perceptions of the success of the wider scheme. It is therefore vital that Market Place plays a significant role in the wider regeneration of the town centre.
The Council‘s vision for the Market Place is:
– A space that is well-used by the public, all year round, night and day
– A space that local people, businesses and organisations can feel ownership of and take pride in
– A space that supports and integrates with wider social and economic activity in the town centre
– A space that is attractive, user friendly and respects the locally distinctive character of Prescot Town Centre Conservation Area
– A landmark space that is an important node in the town‘s green infrastructure
– A space whose design and specification is within budget and meets the eligibility criteria of the Prescot Townscape Heritage Initiative as set by the Heritage Lottery Fund
– A design and use(s) of the site that can be supported in planning terms
– A space that can practically be managed and maintained into the future
Bekanntgabe: 23. August 2017
Shortlist: 5 Arbeiten
Mark Wray Architects, Bath with Seed Landscape, UK
Link zur Ausschreibung